Monday, April 8, 2013

Learning to Unlearn

Our latest mission, should we choose to accept it...

What do you have to unlearn and relearn about education, teaching, the classroom, or learning? This required some thought. I know one thing I've already had to unlearn is how I was taught more than 25 years ago. "Way back when" the majority of our education was of a lecture type, mixed with rote memorization. Without realizing it, when I started college part time 4 years ago, I started to unlearn that process. I found out it didn't work in the context of some of my classes. So I had to relearn in ways that DID work. Sometimes you don't even realize that you're unlearning and relearning. My generation would call this adjusting.. if something doesn't work, adjust it until it does.

"The chief object of education is not to learn things, but to unlearn things." - G.K. Chesterton


Teaching is another concept I think I'm continually unlearning and relearning. I came from a generation of learners who got used to the basic lecturing type of teacher. This is the type of teacher with the attitude of "I'm the expert, so be quiet and listen". I've been a mom for 26 years, and worked with my YMCA kids for the last 5 years. During this time, I've unlearned and relearned more about children than I could ever explain; their learning styles, personalities and how to work with them, and more patience than I ever thought I'd have! But this has all taught me that as a teacher, my approach will be ever changing and adjusting. I would not be a facilitator of education if I wasn't willing to unlearn and relearn. I found an article online that explains another woman's journey over 25 years that I also found helpful.

8 comments:

  1. I thought that this post was very clear and right to the point. I liked that you used examples from your own experiences, and showed that you fully understand what it means to unlearn, and learn. I like the picture that you put on your post it was clearly dealing with unlearning and you also put a quote underneath the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that your examples made your point really clear to the audience. The fact that you can share your experience with young people and have the ability to unlearn and relearn certain things is great! I think your layout looks great, you did a lovely job on your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You explained a number of situations where you had to actual teach your self how to unlearn to relearn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked that you used personal examples in your blog post and explained how sometimes we unlearn things and don't even realize it. Great job on your post, I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is awesome to get a perspective from a mother and I'm assuming childcare provider for the YMCA? My children that I teach at my daycare teach me new things everyday. And as their teacher, and hopefully a teacher in an Elementary School one day it is important to be able to learn new things and drop some things that aren't relevant anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the examples you used on how you actually had to relearn without even knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our children and our students are our greatest teachers. If we can stop and listen for a minute, we are allowing ourselves the opportunity to gain a new perspective and broaden our understanding of we typically see and understand various things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. IWB are a great way to meet different learning styles. It offers something for every learner if used correctly.

    ReplyDelete